Wednesday 23 November 2011

Human Wrongs

By pure coincidence my Head of Faculty at work ordered a load of  free Animal Rights resources before I even started there. He's not into Animal Rights but had seen they were available and thought they may be useful.

He mentioned it to me and asked if I'd find them any use. FIND THEM ANY USE?? Animal Action DVDs? A captive audience? OH YEAH!

So for the first time today (and after many an extensive and thorough Q and A about my veganism) I began what will be a series of lessons that will culminate in an assembly for the school.

My form were excited. We are watching TV in form! Miss NEVER lets us watch anything! We are going down to Drama! WHOOP! I watched as a flurry of black trousers and the back of scruffy loose shirts flashed past me, to the stairs.

In the Drama Studio there was a cacophony of chatter, laughter and scraping sounds as they clamoured to get the best space, the comfier chair. Smiles, friendly punches, less friendly kicks, cries of  "Miss! Miss!"

The provided DVD is highly emotive, factual and very sad without being too graphic, although still very upsetting. I warned my rambunctious, lively form that as unprofessional as it may seem, I may cry whilst watching this short film. I had not watched it yet myself as it clearly stated on the back it was intented for a KS3 audience so I knew it was suitable. I don't feel any desire to watch this distressing footage any more. I don't need to. Most people do.

My kids are used to my up and down emotions at school, we have had a thousand debates on a thousand topics. Many times they have heard the break in my voice when discussing certain subject matter.

So on the DVD went. Laughter as the light switched off, chatter, then whispers, then silence. During particularly disturbing moments I would catch them sneaking sidewards glances at me to check my composure. I  remained composed. Just.

When the 13 minutes were up, I turned on the light.

Silence. A sea of sad, pale faces.


Why do we lie to young people? Take them to Petting Corner aged 3 and give them a chick to hold and stroke (grinded alive in a marcerator). Give them a pet rabbit aged 6, fed carrots and given hay to sleep on (strapped, cut open, writhing in pain, free of anesthetic). Take them on a school trip to a farm aged 10, where they smile at the pigs rolling in the mud (subjected to torture, immobilised in stalls). Then there's a visit to the zoo aged 13 on a science trip to marvel at the intelligence of apes (clinging together in terror, unimaginable horror waiting)


To all the sweet young folk on this planet- you have been lied to. This is the world. This is real. And you have the power to help to STOP it. And you need to start NOW. You are the next generation.You are still young enough to care. You've not been fully subjected to the brainwashing that tells you that this ABOMINATION is "Just the way it is."

People point out to me that I am a minority, a radical. They say it like I'm supposed to feel special, to be pleased at this assertion. I am NOT. I want to be the MAJORITY in a world that does not prize tastebuds and convenience over agony, terror and loss of freedom.

And my brilliant and beautiful form are a step towards this.















4 comments:

  1. Powerful stuff Claire! So brilliant that you are in an a position (and care enough) to affect change. You go girl.......I am ALWAYS right behind you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you are, Laur. We are not just going to affect change. We ARE change
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ian here (Anon yep I know :).

    You blinking well rock Claire! Now you'd better get started on your colleagues as well...

    Careful though. I had a teacher who was petitioned out of the school by the other teachers 'cos he was too radical... branded a "communist"... he'd teach us kids about life, his road trips in the 60's as a hippy with a guitar on his back, how he campaigned against the bomb with CND, and his beautiful art work... it disgusts me to think that the sickeningly straight-jacketed "normal" brigade of "toe the line", "keep in step", "don't rock the boat", "teach the syllabus & nothing more" type of teachers hold any sort of sway over free-thinking & progressive people at all... and none more so than in a arena where our children are meant to flourish, and yet are stunted by a system so intent on producing obedient, mundane sheep that I feel sick typing this... my cousin (parents both teachers) is taking her kids out of state school 'cos she feels that their (real life) education will suffer because of it. Here's to that stance, and here's to the stance my old art teacher took with us kids, and maybe, just maybe, we'll see a day when politics doesn't come into it at all.

    I'm happy to find that the state still has some good teachers left in it. You are a shining example not just to your peers, but to us all.

    Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Ian, thank you so much for your kind comments.And yes, you are right, I have wondered whether I am too 'radical' for the school, especially as the majority of my school are muslim and their food plays a large part in their religious beliefs. But I is what I is, I just can't help it!! As far as I am concerned they have an absolute right to know what is going on. It's a crime to keep this hidden from them. And a crime as far as the animals are concerned too. Animal Rights is largely part of the curriculum nowadays, albeit very watered down and uninspired- and generally delivered by a person with no real passion or commitment to the subject matter. I'm sure it's not a crime (yet) to have a fire in yer belly, if that makes me more persuasive than most, then so be it! x

    ReplyDelete