Tuesday 8 November 2011

Thinking, Schminking

So you might have gathered. I think a lot. About everything. I worry about animals (er...obviously), the state of the world, the future of mankind, Government control of food, WILL ROBOTS TAKE OVER...........???

And then, on top of this, there's the minutiae that days are made of. Where's my keys? Why is there NOTHING here I can eat? I wonder what time Pete's home? I cannot believe Jamie has eaten all the peanut butter................
But as soon as there's a moment when I can just stop and let my mind drift, it always drifts back to the same place -a place that is full of questions, void of answers and can be dark and anxiety-inducing.

Why did humans turn the way they did? Is it the white man? Were we always this way?  Why don't people care about animals suffering?  Is the Truth Movement a conspiracy within a conspiracy? Are we less cruel than we were in Medieval times? Is everything taught in school a lie? Do I really believe in an after life? Will they bring back National Service? Capital Punishment? WHAT IS THE MEEEAAANIINGGG OF LIFFEEEE?????

So yeah. Thinking.

Looking around at the folk around me, I see many attempts to prevent thought. Thinking is associated with boredom -having nothing else to do. Commuters with their noses in their smartphones, ears plugged, veiled by this morning's Metro. (Now there's a sight -100 commuters all reading the same paper. Spooky).

I started to do the same. Got myself a fancy new phone, swish, sleek and easy to browse the web with. Or log onto Facebook with. I started to log in on my way to work. During my dinner hour. FB was in my life even away from my PC at home.

I'm not the kind of person who can ration stuff like this. I hold my hands up, I'm a total internet nerd. I had fun. Laughed my arse off at pics of crazy nights out. I met interesting, enlightened people with real stuff to say. But listening to the thoughts of others day in day out is no substitute for forming thoughts of your own.

And the thoughts of others the majority of the time on FB?

"OMG Frankie!!" (Who the fuck is Frankie anyway?) "Hmm, what for tea tonight?" or "Hurrah, got a new iphone."

Riveting.

Let's go back to my new favourite poem, the most bewitching, enchanting part of all.

The form that it finds is the fabric you wrought
On the loom of the Mind from the fibre of Thought.



My mind, my thoughts.

All killer, no filler! =)









4 comments:

  1. We can easily banish the mundane from FB, and I'm really glad I met such a great bunch of folk on there, so I'm not going... yet. The moment that Google start sifting through FB posts is the moment I go, and I'll probably follow you here. But until then, I'll savour Dan's posts, Alan's filthy mind, and all the other FB delights.

    As for eating up my life, I don't have one. I've been "kicked into touch" by TPTB, silenced & made an outcast so many times that there's nowhere left to run... they even got to me on FB, but I just thought "sod it"... at least I can be like Number 6... and resign!

    It's OK, you're not in any danger :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where are you from Ian? Are you a Northerner? We need to have a meet up us 4, how awesome would that be?? I'm actually seeing Alan in a couple of weeks, he's a real life bud from many moons ago. And you're right - there are FB delights aplenty. Those nefarious delights being part of my problem. I'll miss it for sure. Well, tonight anyway!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Originally I'm from the Black Country (no, it's NOT part of Birmingham), but live just south of Birmingham. I really *need* to get the car back on the road so I can entertain thoughts like meeting FB peeps... would love to.

    Good idea getting this thing off the ground, Ging (Ging?).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha Ging is my real surname (long story Irish, would you believe!) It's what my close friends call me x

    ReplyDelete